Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Weekend Of Firsts

This weekend I made two things for the first time.

The first one of those things is sausages. I made Pork, Apple and Sage sausages. I minced the pork myself, so I know that they're nice and lean. I added finely chopped apple, sage and onion to the mix as well as bread crumbs, egg and salt. I then fed them into casings using the sausage making attachment for the mincer. I used the ratios from the book that came with the mincer/sausage maker. Turns out there's slightly too much salt, but that can be fixed next time.

This is the finished product.
Pork, Apple and Sage Sausages


My next first was icecream. Well, I don't have an icecream machine, so it was semifreddo. I used a gourmet traveller recipe for vanilla icecream and then swirled some stewed rhubarb through it before I froze it, so it could be part of my ingredient of the month creations. I put some in icypole moulds and some in ramekins. Here are a couple fresh out of the moulds.
Rhubarb and Vanilla Swirl Semifreddo
The were extremely tasty!

10 comments:

  1. The sausages look GREAT! Any doubt about getting the mincer attachment have just been banished! Did you just get your casings from the butcher?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! The ice-creams were brilliant ... am looking forward to the sausages tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alycia, the casings were from a butcher in the market. They're not the artificial ones, they're from a pig, but they were all cleaned and ready to go when I got them.
    Paul, sausages followed by icypoles for dinner. YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you bring some of the sausages to Coffin Bay too? They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure thing, Mum. I'll make a selection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sausages look great. Now I want a sausage maker :-)

    The ice-creams look good too but the rhubarb puts me off a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's also a recipe for baci semifreddo in the magazine. Maybe I'll have to give that a go next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never known of anyone making his own sausage. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great effort on both!
    The icecream looks awesome! Would love it if you could post the recipe for the baci semifreddo - Loooove baci's!

    ReplyDelete