Thursday, January 14, 2010

Toast and Lasagne

On Tuesday night we took the newly acquired car out for a spin to Ali and Carter's house for dinner. We brought with us a fresh supply of lasagne - one for dinner that night and 4 others for the freezer.

Jenson went to bed just before dinner, but Ali and Carter had to take turns settling him over dinner, while Paul and I ate and conversed with whoever was not on Jenson duty at the time. After Jenson had settled, it was very much like old times. Drinking, eating, laughing and just generally having fun. Well, designated driver Paul skipped out on the drinking part because he was driving, but I'm pretty sure he still had fun. We've got the next dinner lined up and we're looking forward to it!

Paul made rhubarb bread last night. We used this recipe for rhubarb bread in the bread machine. I made the rhubarb puree and Paul did the rest.

Rhubarb Toast

We had it for breakfast this morning. It's not particularly sweet and you can taste the tartness of the rhubarb. It goes really well with honey. We made the smaller loaf and discovered that it's too small for the bread machine, so next time we'll probably make the larger loaf, and take the dough out to bake in the oven. I might add a touch more sugar next time too.

5 comments:

  1. It's always great catching up with Ali and Carter! And despite being on driving duties and not drinking I still had loads of fun.

    I was pretty impressed with the toast/bread. Yeah, probably could double the recipe, yeah probably could let it rise for a third time, but it was good quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've reminded me that once I use up the fresh meat in my refrigerator, I'm making a Stouffer's lasagna I've got in my freezer and also some Texas toast from the freezer to go with it.

    I've never seen rhubarb yeast bread, only quick bread. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking toast. Now I just need to find someone who grows rhubarb so I can try it. I know we have it at the grocers but they usually do huge bunches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. The rhubarb bread looks good. I will have to get Charles to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BW, it's a shame you don't like rhubarb normally, because I just stewed a whole bunch and froze what I didn't use in this recipe.

    Mum, we'll bring a loaf or two to coffin bay for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete