Sunday, January 3, 2010

NYE and looking forward

It was a very quiet new year for us this year. We needed one after the year that we've had. It's been a busy and stressful year, but also a fun one. We've made and cemented friendships here in Melbourne and truly settled into the city.

For NYE we had Stef, Matt and Giorgia over for dinner as well as Stefania's Italian parents. They don't speak much English and we don't speak Italian, but we managed to communicate a lot better than I had expected. It's amazing how well you can do with gestures and an Italian-English phrasebook. Giorgia had to get home to bed early, so Paul and I saw in the new year together. Shortly afterwards we went to bed, because Paul had to catch an early flight to Adelaide to meet up with his family and drive his brother and his brother's car over to Melbourne.

I don't really want to do any new years resolutions, but I'll record what I'm looking forward to this year.

Firstly, because I've thoroughly enjoyed all of the MTC productions I've been to this year, I've decided to subscribe again, but this time to all of the plays. We'll be heading off to Mary Poppins and West Side Story in the middle of the year and in April I'm going to see Fame. I'm also hoping that we can get along to more ballets and operas again this year.

We'll also be renewing our AFL Memberships and I'm hoping we'll get to a few more games this year than we did last year. I'd also like to get along to some other sporting events. We're heading along to the Australian Open in a few weeks, so hopefully we'll see some great tennis. I'd like to get to at least one Melbourne Victory Soccer match. Paul wants to try to get to an NRL match, but I'm not really keen. We'll be trying our best to get tickets to the Ashes Boxing Day test match and it looks like we'll be trying to get tickets for all of our families and freinds at the same time. Hehe!

One major event that I'm really looking forward to is the addition of a new family member. It looks like we'll be getting a sister for Myf in the early part of the year. I'm really looking forward to the arrival of a little puppy in the house again. I'm not looking forward to the toilet training or the teething, but it's gonna be so CUTE! :D

One event I'm not looking forward to is job hunting. I've kind of already started, but I need to really get stuck into it ASAP. The funding for my project is seriously running out and I'd love to have a job lined up before it's completely drained.

We're going to have a car this year on loan from Paul's bro who's travelling overseas for the year. For anyone who's interested in seeing what my BIL is up to while he's away on his travels. Check out his blog Little Man, Big Travels. As you can see by his most recent post, he always manages to have the most bizarre adventures, so it might add some excitement to your day.

We've explored much of the city centre, so it'll be great to have the ability to do some day trips and weekends away. We've already planned a trip back to SA in March. We'll make a brief stop over in Adelaide before heading on to Coffin Bay with my parents for a fortnight of fishing, reading and relaxing in general.


Wishing all of you a very happy new year. I hope that all of your wishes come true in 2010.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see pictures of your new puppy. I hope Myf likes her.

    Good luck finding a new job. I hope you get everything lined up such that you don't have to look for a job after yours ends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the year looks like it is going to be full again, but in a good way. 2010 will be an interesting one I think ... travel, arts, sport and family all going to define the year. Should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fabulous- What tennis matches are you going to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks A. I'll keep you all updated with my job search. That's if it doesn't get too depressing.

    P, I sure should be :)

    S, We've got tickets to the outside courts. It's been so long since I've followed tennis properly. I just hope it's not too hot!

    ReplyDelete