Friday, January 29, 2010

Recent Celebrations/Parties/etc

Our friend, Tashy, turned 30 recently. In order to celebrate this event, we had a weekend (and then some) of celebrations. My sister came over from Adelaide to celebrate and she stayed until Australia day on Tuesday.

On the Friday night we had a dinner at Hellenic Republic on Lygon St. Paul, Megs and I turned up to the correct address and were very confused to find an dentist there. Turns out we were in Carlton, and the restaurant was in East Brunswick. So we hopped back in the car and travelled up a bit further until we hit the correct suburb. Thank goodness we had the car! It would have been rather awkward by tram!

Megs and I looked like we'd chosen a theme for the evening. Even the gift wrapping for Tashy's present matched the theme!
Black and White

Paulie and I are still very much in love after all this time. Hehe! I wanted a photo and he was getting grumpy and just wanted to leave.
True Love

The food at Hellenic Republic was really good. We had a banquet and there was sooooo much food. There were lots and lots of mezze dishes and we really needed a couple of big eaters on the table to help us out. Fortunately I managed to get the Loukoumades and the almond biscuits into a doggy bag, but I regretted not getting some of the savouries doggy bagged.

The following night we went out to Der Raum for cocktails. I love watching cocktails being made. It's a serious artform. These ones were certainly pretty speccy with liquid nitrogen being used to great effect! There was some kind of weird sugar bong thing being used for one or two of the cocktails, but I didn't see which one(s). I didn't bring my camera, so I don't have any photos of the night, but one day I will and the photos will be spectacular :)

The next birthday event was a family dinner at Punch Lane on the Monday night. How did Paulie and I get a guernsey to Tash's family birthday dinner, you may ask. Well... Megs and Tash have been friends for practically ever and when I was overseas, Tash lived in my room, so we're kind of sisters in the way that people who have known each other for a long time are family. Anyhoo, the dinner again was really nice. I had scallops with crispy pancetta and green pea puree and that was divine!

The final celebration of my sister's stay wasn't officially for Tashy, but I'm sure she'll happily claim it On Tuesday, it was the hottest 100 countdown bbq. Apparently it coincides with some big day in Australia's history, but I'm not sure what all that's about ;)

Megan made a cake. A white chocolate and raspberry cheese cake to be precise. It was very yummy and even looked amazing.
Cake Megan's Baked Raspberry and White Chocolate Cheesecake

Ali and Carter made it out to our place for the first time since Jenson was born and Erin and Scott were first time visitors at our place.
Erin, Ali and Jenson Erin and Scott

Jenson looks so cosy, all squooshed up in his sling.
Jenson in the Sling

Everyone mingled well, which is always a relief when you have guests who don't know each other well or haven't met before.
Allen and Darren Slavica and Tash Mel and Matthew
Three Men and a BBQ

Megs wore the new dress that she bought on Monday and looked very summery. Peek-a-boo, Tashy!
Megs and Tash

Tash and Darren Carter and Me Paul and Me

Paul cooked the home made sausages, but when it came time to cook the vego stuff - polenta crusted eggplant, I had to don my apron and step in.
Paul Tops As The Chefs
The spread

Jenson was the centre of attention for much of the day and everyone wanted a cuddle, but Jenson wasn't sure he wanted cuddles from everyone.
Slavica and Jenson Smiley
Jenson

Mel and Jenson Cry face Ali and Jenson

By the time the top ten started, it was just Tash, Darren, Paul and me. We figured we had a pretty good idea of the number one by the time number five was played, so I asked everyone to give me their number 1 is revealed face. This is what I got. I think you'll agree that we have some budding actors among us.
Paul's Shocked Darren Tash Surprised

I think Paul is pleasantly surprised, Darren could see it coming and Tashy just can't believe it. Haha!


1 comment:

  1. I was pleasantly surprised with an undertone of "that's going to upset the establishment!" :-)

    It was a busy weekend wasn't it ... but a hell of a lot of fun! Thanks Tashy.

    ReplyDelete