Friday, January 1, 2010

Christmas Day

It's been a while since I've written anything on my blog, so I need to play catch up.

Firstly, Myf and I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas

Christmas Day was pretty tiring for Myf. I think she slept through most of it, but she did enjoy the presents in the morning.
Presents!

In my family, Christmas Day is all about the food and spending time together, but mostly about the food. Paul and I decided that since it was just going to be the two of us (plus Myf) for Christmas, we were going to be as decadent as possibly without having to slave over a hot stove for hours. This is what we came up with.

Breakfast was crepes with lemon and sugar, served at around 10:30.
Breakfast: Crepes

Entree, served at around 2:30 pm was ocean trout cured in Raki.
Entree: Cured Ocean Trout

Main Course was a seafood feast of Crayfish with herb and garlic butter, bbq king prawns and rocket, walnut and pear salad, served with a tasty Sticks sav blanc.
Wine and Seafood

The cray and the prawns were both massive. The cray shell was pretty hard to cut through and I had to get the cleaver out. Fortunately no limbs were lost in the process of cracking the shell open.
Hard Shell to Crack!

Paul refused to cook the seafood on the bbq. His talents lie with steaks and chops so I donned the barbie apron much to Paul's amusement and he had to take a photo of it. For those of you who aren't aware of our allegiances, I'm a West Coast fan - that's blue and yellow and Paul is the Essendon Member. Not cool! At least the colours are Christmas-y.
Barbie Chef

Cooking on the BBQ

It turned out to be rather a lot of seafood for just two people and if I don't see another prawn for another month or two, that will be fine by me!
Main Course: Crayfish and Prawns

We ate our main course at about 5 pm and really didn't need dessert, but since I'd gone to the effort of making the pastry tart cases the day before, we managed to force it down at around 8:30 pm. It was actually a nice way to finish the day. Fresh berries in tart cases with marscapone cream.
Dessert: Fresh Berry Tarts

It was a strange Christmas with just the two of us, but it was lovely, peaceful and relaxing and it will be hard to top the food next year :)

3 comments:

  1. The food was fantastic ... oh and you looked fabulous in the apron, the colours really suited you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how good your food looks. Thanks for sharing the picture.

    All I made was homemade coffee cake for breakfast, and homemade pizza for dinner, and homemade Sovenian-style nut bread for dessert. I think we put ham sandwiches together in between.

    I'd say you spent a lot more money feeding two than I did feeding five. It sure looks worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Angela. It certainly was an extravagant Christmas.

    Your Christmas food sounds great too. The nut bread sounds really yummy.

    ReplyDelete