Monday, January 11, 2010

Too Hot

I'm sure this is very unoriginal, as we're in the middle of an Australian summer and everyone seems to be complaining about the weather. But I guess we can't all be original and creative all the time.

According to the bureau of meteorology website it's 43 degrees outside at the moment. HOT! And unfortunately extreme weather means that things don't work properly... so the airconditioner at work isn't working very efficiently. It was 26 in the office and climbing. So I grabbed my laptop and my lab notes and I'm writing up my experiments in the library. Unfortunately the library seems to be suffering from similar issues, but at least there's hardly anyone here, so it's not crowded and stuffy as well as warm.

I'm really not looking forward to the journey home. Standing on a bitumen train platform in 40 degree heat is not exactly pleasant. Another unfortunate side effect of the extreme heat is that it puts a strain on the rail network. I think there are rail buckling issues or something like that. So trains are often delayed. Last year I had to wait on the platform for almost an hour on one of these extreme weather days. I just hope I don't have to do that again today!

I'm hanging out for a cold shower when I get home.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, nominally we have nearly the same temperature right now (or at the time of your posting).

    Mine is in Farenheit, though. I think it's about 6 degrees Celcius. It's very cold. Yesterday was much colder and I tried drying soggy towels on the clothes line. They froze solid.

    You need fall; I need spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And last night was disgusting ... a minimum over night temperature of 32 degrees celcius. That is not right!! I hate the heat during the day, but at night it is unbearable. If we get another night like that I am sleeping in the lounge room with the air-conditioner on all night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sending the heat up to me:-) My kids have been sleeping in the loungeroom on the really hot evenings.

    It's a killer heat. The sun has bite at 7am and it still has bite at 7pm.

    Our internet drops out in the heat, no idea why. Everything else copes OK.

    Had to laugh at Angela's frozen towels. I'd love to see one.

    ReplyDelete