Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Last 20s Birthday

According to my birth certificate, it was my 29th birthday on Saturday. However, I'm pretty sure I'm still around 26 or 27. I think I'm still mid-20s. I'm not ready to be late 20s. Even just typing that made me feel a little queasy.

When do you start accepting that you're growing old(er)?

I still don't know what I want to do with my life. I don't feel like I have any major achievements under my belt. Okay, I have a PhD, but if it hasn't led to a career that I enjoy and excel at, does it really count? I don't have any real ambition or drive at the moment. I'm just plodding along.

Do you think that people have big parties so that they can feel happy around their birthday because without the party they'd just feel depressed about getting old? Or are there people out there who love birthdays regardless of what they represent?

So, I had a big party on the weekend. Well, big is subjective. It's the biggest party I've had since I moved to Melbourne. Some Adelaide people came over and partied with my Melbourne friends and I cooked up a Turkish feast.

Here's a pic of my trial turkish delight. These set better than the ones I made on the day, but the ones on the day had a better flavour. I obviously still need to work on them. lol!
2009-10-11_026a

I also made hummus, baba ghanoush, the pastries I've shown previously, kebabs, kofta, and baklava.

I'm pretty sure everyone had a good time. I had fun at any rate. I haven't uploaded any pics from the camera yet, so you can expect those in a future post.

6 comments:

  1. Age to me is a nothing number, it means nothing and ultimately as the years go by it becomes less and less relevant. You just need to look at who turned up to your birthday, the youngest was about 22, the oldest 36. Did you notice their age or was it the person?

    I look forward to aging, you become wise and knowledgeable, people look to you for advice and direction, rashness and instant gratification (tequila shots) makes way for patience and enjoying the finer things in life (bottle of Grange Hermitage)! I may be 33 but in reality my age doesn't define who I am and how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. And the party was a lot of fun! The food was fantastic ... pity about the BBQ bloke :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very zen of you Paul. I know that my age doesn't define me, but I still panic when I think how much of my life has passed me by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday!

    My birthdays are much more fun since I had kids. They love any excuse for cake and candles. Weeks in advance, my middle one starts making me birthday cards. Without kids it would just be an excuse to buy a bakery cake.

    The food-theme at your party sounds delicious.

    I think people have big birthday parties because they like parties. I hate parties so I'd not bother.

    Old beats being dead (and I see from Pumpkin's comment that I'm older than anyone who came to your party)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Turkish Delight looks great. DS1 loves it so we're going to try and make them too.

    Happy belated birthday, getting older is OK, you forget about it after a while. I'm looking forward to being really old and having a red mobility scooter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Angela and Brilly.

    lol, brilly!! I guess there are some perks with getting older. Maybe I should be grateful that I'm getting closer to an age where people have to stand up for me on public transport.

    I hope you and your son have fun making the Turkish delight.

    ReplyDelete