Monday, October 5, 2009

Ingredient of the Month #1: Pastry

Here's my first weekend of cooking with pastry. I may have gone too hard, too fast and I think I may be pastried out for the month. Here's what I made this weekend...

A chicken roll for lunch during the week. I made the chicken filling from scratch (including mincing the chicken) but I used ready-made puff pastry.
Chicken Roll


I made Puff Borek with a feta/mozarella and parsley filling. I made the puff pastry from scratch for this one. I was pretty nervous about how it would turn out, but it worked so well. I fried these and then froze them, so I can reheat them in the oven for my birthday party.
Puff Pastry
Proof that I made the pastry

Sizzling
Puff Borek



Finally I made Sigara Boregi, which are spinach and feta filos that I've also frozen so I can reheat them for my birthday party.
Sigara Boregi

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I've never made my own puff pastry. I just by the Pepperidge Farm stuff. Was it hard? Did it have a lot of layers of butter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually wasn't that hard. Just flour, egg, water and butter to make a dough. Yes, there is lots of butter between layers and some refrigeration time, but I think it tastes better than the pastry I usually buy, so for me it was worth it and I'll probably do it again in future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum yum yum!!!

    Good on you for having a bash at home made puff. I've made it a few times and you're right, it's SO worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh YUMMMY they look so good, very impressed with the pastry making never thought to make puff before maybe cos i'm lazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look fabulous!
    Well done for going totally home made
    i have done it once along time ago... im just a bit more impatient these days lol

    ReplyDelete