Friday, October 2, 2009

Ingredient of the Month

In an effort to get more creative and adventurous with my cooking, I'm setting myself a challenge. I'd like all of my blog followers to help me out with the challenge and join in if they like.

This was inspired by my recent cooking efforts with artichokes. I cooked an artichoke and lamb casserole in the slow cooker based on a recipe in my Gourmet Traveller Magazine. They appear to be such a difficult and fiddly vegetable to cook with, but I found that they weren't so hard to prepare (despite my swearing and minor hissy fit) and tasted pretty good in the end.

I'm going to set a different ingredient each month that I'd like to try and include in a few different dishes. I'd like this ingredient to be in season during that month (if it does have a season) and to be 'interesting'. Because I'm likely to get stuck for ideas I'd like some suggestions from my readers.

Just a heads up, Paul, we can't have chocolate as the ingredient every month!

Because of all the cooking I'm going to be doing for my birthday party, the ingredient for October will be PASTRY. Filo, puff, shortcrust, frozen or made from scratch... anything goes!

6 comments:

  1. WHAT! Chocolate is about all I can offer ... well, okay there is also parsnips and ice cream! Does ice-magic constitute as an ingredient? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can give you an ingredient to try, although maybe you've already tried it. Kohl Rabi. It can be used in salads but can also be cooked.
    I'm not good at making pastry, mine always tastes like shortcrust or biscuits..... even if I've made 'puff'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to say that I like your kitty. I like making it's head spin :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, thanks for the suggestion. I'll put it on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on the pastry challenge!!!!

    I'm going to have to steer clear of all pastry for October I think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah great idea, i have to steer clear of pastry as well but will definately try other things with you :)

    ReplyDelete