Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Flowers or Chocolates

Paul and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day. It's too close to our anniversary to celebrate it properly and since Paul showers me with flowers, chocolates and other gifts for our anniversary, it's unnecessary to do it again so soon. Hahahahaha!! Sorry, I couldn't keep a straight face. Paul isn't really the type to do the flowers or chocolates thing. Last year I bought myself flowers for our anniversary and this year I was again determined to not let it pass without some romantic token gesture. So I decided to get a gift delivered to Paul's office. Paul doesn't believe in flowers - you'll have to ask him for the explanation, so I decided to go with chocolates. There are so many companies now that do chocolates in funky arrangements, so I decided to go with a bouquet of chocolates, but the most manly looking bouquet I could find. I think I did pretty well.

Chocolates

7 comments:

  1. What a great 'manly' gift for the chocolate lover. I hope he shared with you.

    I'd like to ask Paul why he doesn't like cut flowers but I don't know how to contact him except through here :-) I'm wondering if it's a similar reason to why I'm not a fan of cut flowers (especially after someone has died) I'm not a fan 'cause they just die! If someone has died and you send flowers then they look lovely for a while.... then they die too. Like a second death. If you send flowers 'cause you love someone they look lovely for a few days and then they die too.

    I'd rather have a tree that grows on for a long time. We've always planted trees for people who've died and I see a tree as a symbol of growth and life. Flowers to me symbolise aging and death.

    How'd I do?...... Close, or so far off the mark it's laughable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty close. I'll get Paul to write his reasons on here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look lovely. I wouldn't mind having them for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bugger, I read Pauls reply the other day and now it's gone.
    I understood his reasoning. We don't celebrate Valentines Day or Easter. Birthdays are really low key with just favourite dinner and small gifts from the kids. If we want something then we just buy it.
    I'm not a fan of useless gifts either but there's something special about a pet rock that your three year old chose for you or a mobile phone cover from your five year old even though you don't have a mobile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul and I decided that his post wasn't very tactful, so we decided to delete it. lol!

    Ultimately, Paul isn't big on celebrating special events with gifts. Not that he doesn't appreciate a well thought out gift, but he feels that they shouldn't necessarily be saved for one event. So if you see something that someone would like, why not just buy it for them when you see it rather than waiting for the 'special day'. And why buy something useless just because it is a special day.

    I can understand his logic, but we agree to disagree on this. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I must be lacking in tact 'cause I didn't think it was tactless.... just an opinion honestly stated. :-)

    ReplyDelete