Friday, February 12, 2010

Back to reality

I arrived back in Melbourne yesterday from the conference in Lorne - stories and photos to come.

I drove in over the Westgate bridge. OMG, I can't believe I'm driving in Melbourne. The freeway is insane, but I totally managed to negotiate it and get the right exits. Yay! The Westgate bridge is such a great way to enter the city. There's a view to the city on the left and a view to the beach straight ahead. It almost brought a tear to my eye - I might be a little over-tired and emotional right now though.

I'm writing this from home because I have the whole week off work. I'm relaxing inside while we have gardeners here getting the house ready for sale :( This is becoming a HUGE deal. The stylist has been through the house and has decided that she wants to put some of our furniture in storage and replace some of it with nicer items. Paul couldn't remember exactly what they wanted, so I'm awaiting a list from the real estate agent. In some ways it seems like such a small thing. It'll only be for a short while and it shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience. But then on the other hand, it's insane. We live here, ffs. It's not a display home. We're tenants and legally, I don't think they have the right to do this. I really don't want to piss them off and I sound neurotic and unreasonable everytime I talk to the agent. It sounds like I'm the crazy one for not wanting them to replace my fridge with a smaller one etc.

It's a pretty stressful time at the moment for Paul and I, so I'm trying my hardest not to let the small stuff get to me. Is this a small thing that I should just go with the flow on? Is it really going to be such a big deal to live with half my furniture in storage for 5 weeks and someone else's furniture in my house? But then what happens if it's like the last house and takes 3-4 months to sell?

I think when I'm get the list from the RE agent, I'm going to sit down and put all of my thoughts into an email and so I don't sound like an irrational, overemotional freak.

So that's the crappy news. The exciting news is that I have two job interviews lined up. The first is today at 1pm. It's in the Research Office at Monash and is only short term casual, but it would be good experience to have if I get the job and can fit it in with my current job.

3 comments:

  1. It is stressful ... I don't think owners quite understand that we consider the place our home. You change our home and you upset the balance of our daily lives, while the owners are comfortable in their own little undisturbed world. Anyway, its all the more reason why buying is better than renting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your job interviews. I hope you can find something you like that works with what you are already doing.

    I wish I had such control of my tenants as your landlord does of you. (Actually, I think the owner retains too much control where you live.) Sometimes my tenants have refused to let my houses be shown when it's not convenient for them (those tenants have since been evicted for non-payment of rent). That's going too far the other direction, and is a violation of my lease (as is not paying rent).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously? They want to remove your furniture to storage wtf? I'd be stressed as well, surely they arn't allowed to legally demand that? Now our house has sold we can start looking for rentals and i'm just hoping we don't have the same problem where they want to sell it once we've moved in!

    Good luck with the jobs, hope everything works out perfectly for you!

    ReplyDelete