Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Apologies

I've been slack. Very slack.

I promise that at some stage over the next few days I will do a photo diary of my trip to Adelaide a couple of weeks ago. I had a lovely time and it was so good to see friends again and meet the lovely Kristin who took some amazing pics of me for her portrait portfolio.

I also have some pics from a dinner party and girls night that I need to blog about. That will come in the next few days too, I promise.


There are a couple of things I want to blog about today. Firstly some entertainment, followed by some news.

The former relates to my trip to the opera to see Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutte. It was a great production, full of energy and the story was lots of fun. The plot was very Shakespearian. I loved the set and costume design. It was modern, but at the same time, timeless, so you could really define when or where it was set.

The subtitle of the Opera is School for Lovers so I should tell you what I learnt from this 'school'... Women are lying, cheating and unfaithful and men should just learn to deal with it. Hahaha! So sexist, but so hilarious. Okay, so the sentiment is a little outdated, but it made for a great, tongue in cheek production and the cheeky English translation helped with that.


So now that I've finished with the entertainment part of the blog post, I'll get onto more serious matters. My contract at Monash expires on 31st December. My boss has agreed to employ me on a casual basis next year, so I have money coming in until I find a job, but don't need to give the 1 month's notice required if I were on a fixed-term contract. It gives me greater flexibility, which is good and I guess I just have to trust that my boss is going to stick to her word and keep me employed as long as possible/necessary.

The upshot of this is that I have to use up all of my annual leave before the end of my current contract. As we already have the Christmas period as paid leave that doesn't come out of my annual leave, I only have to work 4 more days this year, including today.

So I'm going to have lots of free time for Christmas shopping and baking and recipe planning and photography. Oh and job hunting too.

My first day off was yesterday. I didn't really aceive all that much yesterday, but you have to have at least one slack day when you don't get out of your pj's, don't you?

Hopefully I'll be able to be more active on here so I can show you all what I get up to on my days off. Let's hope they're not all spent in my jammies!

4 comments:

  1. To follow your lead...


    I'm...

    1. glad to see an update and totally get the inactivity. I'm going to love the end of next week when I finally get time to do things.

    2. sick of your entertainment updates! I'm so jealous!!!!!!!!!

    3. sorry to hear that your contract has finished, but not sorry that it will push you outside the comfort you've been in since last year - hopefully the push will not make you take something eeky but you can find something wonderful and a new career-based adventure!

    4. excited that you're on holidays as I am too... we'll be able to catch up!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a funny Opera! Particularly given that the women became unfaithful in a day ... that includes getting married to the new (in disguise) men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering how you were, thats great you get some extended leave, i hope the job thing all works out for you. Is there much work in what you do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alycia, that's good that we'll be on holidays together. It'll be good to chat again! And I can't wait to hear the highlights of your teaching experiences.

    Sars, unfortunately there's not a lot around at the moment, but I have my fingers crossed that things will pick up after Christmas. It's not a great time of year to be looking for work!

    ReplyDelete