Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas

Christmas isn't really a big deal in our house. We don't do decorations, I'm not keen on carols and I've given up on the traditional roast turkey.

That being said, we do have a few traditions that we like to keep up with.

The first of those is Christmas Cards. I like to send cards. I know that most of my friends don't send them in return, but I think it's a nice gesture. We get some in return. Unfortunately the Australia Post striking is holding the cards up this year. I really don't think that they're going to win any supporters with industrial action at this time of year. I want my cards, and I want mine to be sent in a timely fashion. It's been a week since we sent them, if they don't bloody well arrive at their destination today, I'll be mighty annoyed!

The second tradition is the work gifts. I like to do a bit of baking as a gift for work friends. They put up with my moods all year, the least I could do for that is bribe them with a bit of sugary goodness in the hope that they'll put up with me for a little longer. Hehe!

I was very proud of my efforts this year. I made chocolates.
Christmas Sweets
From left to right they are... white chocolate, almond and cherry clusters; lemon and coconut truffles; dark chocolate, almond and apricot clusters; and sesame caramel toffee.

I wrapped them up in clear plastic cellophane and tied them with a festive bow and this is how they looked in the end.
Christmas Treats


Another important tradition is our Christmas Eve Dinner. Paul and I have a romantic dinner at a fancy restaurant. We enjoy the beautiful food and we recap the year that was. The good, the bad and everything in between. We discuss where we went right and where we've gone wrong, our highlights and our low points. We look to the coming year and talk about what we're looking forward to and how we can improve on the previous year. I think it's a great tradition. It helped us to realise that we were in a rut in Adelaide and needed to move out and on if we were going to be happy together. But it's not all serious and depressing. Our last dinner was a very happy occasion as we celebrated a fun and successful first year in Melbourne.

This year we're going to Pearl. I already know what Paul's going to order for mains...
Poached loin of grass fed gippsland lamb with parsnip puree and asparagus, parsnip chips and a green olive and white anchovy tapenade
With those parsnips, you just can't go wrong!


Possibly one of the most important of our traditions is the boxing day ham eaten whilst watching the boxing day test. I've already ordered the ham from the markets and like last year, I'll be making delicious ham sandwiches to take to the MCG. I'm really looking forward to the day of cricket watching.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I had not even looked at the menu yet! Awesome Parsnipalicious!!

    ReplyDelete