Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Just like the Cowardly Lion, I wish I had some courage!

Last night Paul, Tash and I went to a play reading. The play was The Joy Of Text by Robert Reid. It had an amazing cast for the $5 entry fee - Shaun Micallef, Noni Hazelhurst, Heidi Arena, Kat Stewart and Tim Potter.

The play itself was really interesting. It was set in an outer suburban school (semi-rural) and revolved around a battle for the vice-principalship and a students attempt at satire. It was cleverly done.

The reading was great. The cast read from the script, but they acted as well. There were no props, so the director read the set directions from the script. They'd only read it through together once before the day, so was rough in places, but still wonderfully acted. It really did feel like you were part of the production process.

At the end of the play as we were milling around in the foyer, all of the actors came out. I really wanted to talk to them, but I couldn't think of anything remotely witty, clever or interesting to say to them. Somehow "you rock" or "I think you're awesome" didn't really feel right in a room full of artistic types. One day I'll come up with a whole bunch of amazing lines to use in circumstances such as these so I will eventually find the courage to speak to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment