Thursday, July 23, 2009

Road Trip

On Sunday, we went on a road trip. Tash was driving and her housemate Donna came with us. The final destination was Lorne, but we stopped and looked at the sites along the way. It was a really fun day, and reminded me that sometimes cars can be quite useful (even if they are dirty, stinky, polluting hunks of unattractive metal).

First stop was Torquay. We carefully avoided the beach, so Paul didn't have to get too close to the sand. This photo was taken from the concrete ramp down to the beach. ;)
Tractors at Torquay
I like the colour of the tractors against the blue of the sky. It also proves that we do indeed get nice days in Melbourne - even in the middle of Winter ;)

This was my favourite photo of the day. I like the clearness of the water and the undisturbed sand and the shadow of the rock. It just looks so peaceful and tranquil.
19/07/09

Next stop was Bells Beach. Unfortunately Tashy was my only willing model (although I did manage to coerce Paulie a bit later in the day).
Tashy at Bell's

There were some crazy people surfing out there in the middle of winter. Brrrrr!!
Surfing
And here's a surfer's dog waiting patiently. Couldn't imagine Myf doing that!
Waiting

The next stopoff was at Airey's Inlet - site of the Lighthouse from Round the Twist.
Lighthouse
Lighthouse
There were also some cool rocks offshore and I finally got Paulie to pose here... albeit without his knowledge at first...
Paul Inspecting the View
And then he prised the camera out of my hands and managed to get me to pose
Me
We eventually realised that the photos looked better without us in them.
Airey's Inlet

The final stop on our journey was Lorne. We had a drink on the deck at the Lorne Hotel. The view was great.
Lorne View

We finished up with chicken and chips by the beach, while the seagulls looked on.
Seagulls

We drove back through the Otways and onto the A1 to Geelong. A massive thanks to Tashy for driving. I don't know how she did it because by the end of the dy I was knackered and I fell asleep in the back seat!

3 comments:

  1. The scenery looks so beautiful! It doesn't look cold in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I did pretty well avoiding the camera ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, it's a very small fraction of the Great Ocean Road in Victoria, which is one of the prettiest roads to drive in Australia. It's more spectacular further along where they have sites like the 12 Apostles and London Bridge, which are rock formations off the coast.

    It was quite a nice day - probably around 17 degrees C, but the water would have been freezing.

    Paulie, you did very well, but I'll get you to model for me soon!!

    ReplyDelete