Saturday, December 18, 2010

Aussie Christmas Shortbread

I'm entering the Kitchen Corners December Cookoff. Not because I think I'll win or even want to win, but because I love the blog, Damaris seems like such a sweet person and I think it sounds like fun. I thought I'd give a bit of an Australian twist to a standard shortbread recipe. The recipe I used comes of the side of a McKenzie's rice flour box.

I'll be giving these cookies to the people who are coming around for Christmas drinks tomorrow.
Aussie Christmas Shortbread
Christmas Cookies

225g plain flour
115g rice flour
115g caster sugar
1 pinch salt
225g butter (softened)
1.5 tsp wattle seed
1.5 tsp lemon myrtle

Sift dry ingredients and rub in butter. Knead until smooth. Add wattle seed to half the dough and lemon myrtle to the other half of the dough. Roll out and cut into shapes with Christmas cookie cutters. Cook at 150C for approx 45 min. Sprinkle with caster sugar and cool on a wire rack (although they taste really good straight out of the oven).

Lemon myrtle gives a real zesty lemon sherbet kind of flavour and wattle seed gives a subtle coffee flavour. You could add substitutes if you like or you could see if you can get hold of the bush herbs.

PS do you think that the shape cutter I used is a star or a snowflake? I guess a snowflake isn't very Australian - perhaps I should have thought that through a bit better!

3 comments:

  1. They look great R! I'm sure they taste divine and would've smelt amazing while baking.

    And a blog cook off is a fab idea - am now following and might play along with the next one :)
    They do look like snowflakes - but that's still cool :)
    This year I've been trying to avoid using anything for Christmas that has snow or a winter Xmas theme to it and it's really hard! (Xmas cards, wrapping paper etc)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun to enter! I wouldn't know where to find wattle seed or lemon myrtle (I guess the health food store would sell rice flour). Those are snowflakes. If I were coming by tomorrow, I'd love to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Fi. We ate them today and I sent some home with our guests. They're pretty tasty if I do say so myself.

    Angela, if you're keen to try them, you could see if the site I linked to for the ingredients delivers to the US. If you just want to try one, make it the lemon myrtle. I think it's divine.
    We can buy rice flour in the supermarket here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete