Sunday, June 6, 2010

Me and My Pregnant Friends

After this weekend, you could easily be mistaken in thinking all of my friends are pregnant.

Yesterday, I was meeting up with the girls from my last job for lunch. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, only one other girl could make it to lunch; my 7 month pregnant Dutch friend, Marleen. We met at a vegetarian cafe in St Kilda, Soulmama. I don't know if that sets off alarm bells for any of my readers - two women, one of whom is pregnant, eating at a vegetarian cafe... We were mistaken for a couple. Haha!

It was a great afternoon though. The food was pretty good and it was definitely value for money. But more importantly, it was great to spend time with Marleen. We haven't really spent much time alone together so it was great to chat one on one.

Today, I went out with another 7 month pregnant friend, Stefania. It was lovely to see her again. We always have fun when we go out together. We have many interests in common and she's great to chat to.

We saw Rasta Thomas' Rock the Ballet at the Arts Centre. It was a modern ballet performance set to rock music. Because the songs were iconic, the dance was based around the music and lyrics, where usually in contemporary dance, the music complements the dancing, but doesn't overpower it. Normally that would make me think of video clip style dancing, but it was sooo much better than that. The dancers were graceful and athletic at the same time. The choreography itself was a mixture of classical ballet and contemporary styles with some jazz and hip hop thrown in for good measure. I think my favourite dance was the modern piece set to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, with the Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror piece a close second. They finished on a hilarious note with I'm Too Sexy - which drove many women in the audience crazy when they ripped their tops off. I have to admit that I wasn't to displeased with the result. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ... a fun weekend. Perhaps I should be glad I missed the ballet, there might have been some expectation for all the men to rip off their shirts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at being taken as a couple. I hope you played it up and led them on :-)

    ReplyDelete