Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Soccer Comes the the G

Last night we journeyed to the MCG to freeze our butts off and watch Australia vs Japan. Although this was a dead rubber, Australia needed to win or draw to come top of their pool. Australia won 2:1.

To be perfectly honest my main concern with the game was that the 90 minutes would drag and I would get totally bored and focus on how cold it was. I don't have the longest attention span in the world and lets face it, soccer's not exactly AFL ;)

As it turned out, even though the game started pretty slowly, I hardly even noticed time ticking over. I think the only time the match actually felt like it was dragging was in the last 5 minutes of the game when Australia were just trying to slow the play down and prevent Japan from scoring.

Highlight of the match for me was Australia's first goal. The stadium erupted and two flares were set off, so it actually felt like we were at a proper soccer match. Up until that point it had been a bit staid. There were a few mexican waves, but no real chanting or anything to differentiate it from a cricket match. Australia is definitely lacking some team songs.

1 comment:

  1. The AFL definately has a lot more to look at during a game. And I found that the crowd were really vocal and the hecklers were really funny at the AFL.
    Glad you survived the soccer. I felt sorry for Schwartzer after having a clean sheet for so long..... he's our hero in this house :-) Anyone can score goals not everyone is brave enough to try and stop goals.

    ReplyDelete