Friday, June 5, 2009

Richmond Houses Are Giving Me Nightmares

I love the idea of owning a nice old Victorian cottage in Richmond. The location is great and the houses are so cute. Unfortunately the layouts are all wrong. For starters, they tend not to suit the modern way of entertaining, in that they often don't lend themselves to the open plan living/dining/kitchen that I'm so used to. Secondly if they've been renovated on the cheap, the house has been extended a little to encapsulate the bathroom which would have been separate to the house. This means that the bathroom/toilet comes directly off the dining room or the kitchen. I think I must be one of the only people in the world who thinks that this really isn't very hygienic.

Unfortunately in our current rental, which is a renovated Victorian in Richmond, the bathroom/toilet comes off the dining room. Last night I had a weird dream that we'd moved the dining table so it was right next to the door of the bathroom, so every time someone went to the toilet, we could hear all sorts of sound effects. It wasn't pleasant and I think the first thing I'll do when I get home from work tonight will be to move the dining table even further away than it already is.

I think the stress of house hunting is starting to get to me!

2 comments:

  1. So if you need to pee in the middle of the night you have to go via the diningroom? That would annoy me. I don't think loos should be too close to food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you have to walk from the front of the house to the back of the house. In winter, with poor insulation and freezing cold floorboards and tiles, it's not a very pleasant experience.

    ReplyDelete