Friday, June 12, 2009

Loving the Theatre

At the end of last year I purchased a Melbourne Theatre Company subscription for 8 plays throughout this year. I have not yet been disappointed with the plays I've seen.

Last night I went to see August: Osage County. This is a play about a slightly dysfunctional family that comes together when the father goes missing. It's a grim tale, but darkly funny.

As a whole, the plays I've seen have had wonderfully creative sets. Last night for example, there was a 3 storey house on stage. In every performance thus far, the acting has been superb. A stand out in 2 plays has been Robyn Nevin, who last night was brilliant as the pill popping mum.

When I purchased the subscription, I was worried about going to the plays alone. I thought I'd look like a loser. Now, I'm just so excited to be going to such wonderful performances I don't care if I look like a loner. I don't care that I'm wearing daggy jeans and a hoodie, whilst sipping champagne all by myself during the interval as Lisa McCune holds court next to me looking stunning in her little black number.

For me, this year, the theatre has provided much more entertainment than movies. The plots are less cliched, the acting more convincing and I'm learning about history. It's all win for me :)

3 comments:

  1. I went to see Miss Saigon last year on a weeknight, alone. Felt odd doing so before I got there... Now I've done it (straight from a stressful day at work it was as well!) I'll do it again!

    Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the 6th. 2 more to go :)

    ReplyDelete