Monday, May 17, 2010

Jabs

I've had more vaccinations in the last month or so than I've had since high school.

Because my new job is in the medical research field, I have to be up to date with all of my vaccinations including hepatitis B, which is a series of 3 vaccinations - the second after one month and the third after 6 months. We get free flu shots too.

Because I donate blood regularly, I figured that the vaccinations would be nothing in comparison. Boy, was I wrong. I think that it hurts less to donate blood than it does to have the vaccinations.

One month ago I had the flu shot and my first hep b shot. The flu shot wasn't too bad, it stung quite a bit, but was over pretty quickly. The hep b was terrible. The volume of vaccine is larger, so you the sting lasts longer and you can feel the pressure of all the liquid going in. After that first vaccination, my arm felt dead for a day. I had a big bruise too.

I've just had my second hep b, and the vaccination itself was the same as the first time, but my arm wasn't as sore afterwards. I wonder if it was the flu shot that made my arm go dead?

I guess the vaccination is better than the alternative though!

3 comments:

  1. Ouch, i haven't had a an injection in yonks but have to take Harry for his 4 year old ones, can we say not looking forward to that one, think there will have to be some hefty bribery haha.

    Whats your new job? How is everything going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! Good luck with Harry's vacs.I hope the bribery works and it goes smoothly.

    My new job is as an office administrator in a medical research organisation. So I'm out of the lab, but still using my science knowledge. I've been there for 1 1/2 months now and it's been really good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've had the Hep B vaccination, but my kids have. I just got the Hep A vaccination for Jessica, along with the second round of chickenpox. She's been complaining a lot about how much her arm hurts.

    ReplyDelete